Saturday, February 25, 2006

Deja vu

Twenty years ago...
Somebody allegedly cheated his way to Malacanang. The people were confused and restless. They poured onto the streets in protest, for truth and for what they believed is right.

Twenty years after...
Somebody allegedly cheated her way to Malacanang. The people confused and restless. They poured onto the streets in protest, for truth and for what they believed is right.

In true Ate Glow fashion... Ang saya-saya noh?

I had planned to sleep in, desperately trying to catch up with my missed zzz's. I was deeply immersed in a dream that involved fireworks and a ferris wheel and, let's just say, plain magic, when beb rang and told me there was something oddly (too?) familiar happening in Edsa. I turned on the TV and what do i see? Basically, nothing new. I turned the TV off, then texted beb to just sms me if we have a new president by noon. Feck it. Who am i kidding? It'll all blow over by noon.

I'm not one for social commentary. Frankly, i try to leave it to the pros. But this fecking situation tried to rob me of inday's day-op so i should assert my rights to protect my precious rnr time from being trampled upon. So here's my two cents. Wait, make it five.

Oh c'mon people, the woman worked really hard to get to sleep in the Arlegui residence for six more years. The room service must be that good to risk leaving a legacy that would rival that of a former dictator's. Do you think you'll scare her with banners, prayers, and yellow confetti? I could just picture somebody in a grey Mao suit watching the coverage of all the commotion in Ayala Avenue whispering to herself, "Nek-nek nyo".

Twenty years ago, we taught the world how to overthrow an oppressive regime through a peaceful revolution we call People Power.

Twenty years after, a lady in Malacanang taught the tyrants of the world how to nip one in the bud.